Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Start of My Obsession



Mary calls it her addiction... for me it's an obsession. LOL!


I didn't initially plan for my Joes to take off the way they did. I remember being at a chat last year where we got completely off topic and started talking about Barbies. When I was younger, my sister and I used to have a ton of Barbie dolls but we didn't have many Kens. We ended up cutting the hair on a few Barbies and dressing them up as men so the numbers were more even. "Ken" would go to work while Barbie got to go shopping. I like to tell people that I'm so wickedly warped because of that early start!


At the chat, Laura Baumbach mentioned using GI Joes when she was mocking up scenes and I thought it was the greatest idea. I was having trouble with sex scenes in one of my books at the time and figured the Joes would be perfect to help me figure out positions and where certain body parts were supposed to be.


Little did I know they would take on personalities of their own. Once they had names, I started making up stories featuring them, and then started taking pictures of them in different poses. The picture in this post, of Colt trying to overpower a very naked Rick, is actually the first picture I ever took of my boys. The Joes soon started to appear with special greetings for my closest friends on their birthdays and once or twice Rick would personally email people. He's a chatty one! Everyone got such a kick out of them I decided to start making it public. I'm completely obsessed with my guys (and gals!) and search ebay for props and more additions to my Joe family.

Ooops, I better go... My boys are being impatient for a new scene ;)
Jade

2 comments:

Mary Winter said...

Oh that's just wonderful, and what a great picture!!!! :)

Erin the Innocent said...

OMG *g* I love it!